Feel like getting out of the bustling city to somewhere cool and calm. Get the Tokyo Wide Area Pass, which covers not only Tokyo city but also the outer skirt of the area. This time round, we are going to see the Mt Fuji at Kawaguchiko and the famous UNESCO Togusho Shrine in Nikko.
JR Tokyo Wide Area Pass
Where to purchase?
Narita Airport T1.2 & 3
At T1 JR EAST Travel Service Center
T1 Ticket Office ( **to reserve your seats)
Haneda Airport International Terminal
**Will only put down the important location, more information.
3 Consecutive days
Where it covers?
You could get on and off the train as many times as you like by using designated or unreserved seats on the ordinary cars of Shinkansen, limited express, express, rapid and local trains in the usage area shown below.
- JR East Lines
- Tokyo Monorail
- Izu Kyuko Line
- Fujikyu Railway
- Joshin Dentetsu Line
- Saitama New Urban Transit Line (New Shuttle) – between Omiya and the Railway Museum
- The entire Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit Rinkai Line
- The following limited express trains that directly run between the JR East lines and Tobu Railway lines: the Nikko, the SPACIA Nikko, the Kinugawa, and the SPACIA Kinugawa. Also, the local trains (including rapid trains) between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-Nikko/Kinugawa-Onsen Stations.
Things to Note:
- JR TOKYO Wide Pass is not valid on Tokaido Shinkansen and JR buses.
- A separate fee is required for travel outside the designated unreserved seating zone.
- The Hayabusa, Komachi, and GranClass are not available. For usage, payment of limited express charges and GranClass charges is required.
- For Fujikyu Railway, separate tickets are required for the observation car of the Fujisan Express and to ride the Fuji Tozan Densha that climbs up to Fujisan Station on Mt. Fuji.
- When traveling on reserved seating, please go to a Ticket Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) or a Travel Service Center at a JR East station before boarding and present this pass to obtain a (free) reserved-seat ticket. This pass itself cannot guarantee the availability of reserved seating.
You can use non-reserved seating with this pass alone. Please note, however, that some trains do not have non-reserved seating.
* All seats are reserved on the Hayate, Narita Express, Super-view Odoriko, Nikko, Kinugawa, and SPACIA Kinugawa (Some non-JR lines also have full reserved seating. Please ask our staff for more information). These trains require a reserved seat ticket.
- When using the JR TOKYO Wide Pass for express train service on a Tobu line, either the departure or arrival station must be on a JR line.
- Service from Echigo-Yuzawa Station to GALA Yuzawa Station on the Joetsu Shinkansen is available only on Saturday, December 19, 2015, till Sunday, May 8, 2016.
What is required?
Passport. (However, staff didn’t request to check ours)
How to make full use of the pass?
Head down to suburban of Kanto area. Eg, Tochigi Prefecture, Ibaraki Prefecture, Yamanashi Prefecture.
It will be better for you to know where and what time are you going to depart or arrive at a certain train station to reserve the seating beforehand, as queuing at Midori no madoguchi might be too time-consuming if you need to catch your train to a place at a specific time. Also, there are quite a handful of rules and conditions apply. However, do not worry about it in my following posts I will guide you through it.